I think I could just build a media career by appearing on every Jay Baer podcast he and his company produces.
Earlier this week, my interview on The Business Of Story was released — my third interview on Jay Baer’s third podcast. (You can hear my interview, “Top Tips from a Humor Columnist on How to Tell Better Brand Stories” here.)
Park Howell, a content marketing and storytelling professional, interviews different writers and storytellers, talking about to use proper storytelling in the business world. He’s interviewed screenwriters, film makers, editors, directors, makeup artists, and voice over actors (including Dick Orkin, the creator of Chicken Man, which I used to love!)
We had a chance to talk about humor writing, and how it can be used in the business world. Some of the topics we discussed include:
- Why infusing your writing with humor will improve it dramatically
- How to break down comedic theory to make it accessible and useable
- Why you can absolutely can learn to be funny
- How stories are more approachable and more memorable with comedy
- Why some are hesitant to use humor in the workplace, but it is a misplaced fear
- How to absorb lessons from great fiction writers
Anyway, give the show a listen and let me know what you think. And be sure to check out Jay’s other podcasts for more great marketing information.
(Update: Park and his Business of Story podcast were featured as a case study in the latest edition of Branding Yourself, which you can get on Amazon.com.)