Everyone is so worried about getting their Facebook contacts into Google+. That’s the wrong way to go about Google+.
Given that most of us who are on Google+ are social media power users, chances are we’re looking for another social networking tool that will benefit us professionally. And while we may be Facebook friends with our professional contacts, LinkedIn is the real professional social network. LinkedIn also keeps any contact information like cell phones and websites, so this is going to be valuable anyway.
So, why not instead import your LinkedIn contacts into your Google+ contacts? Here’s an easy way to do it.
- Most importantly, you should have a Gmail account. If you don’t, get one. Google+ will delve into your Gmail contacts to see who you interact with the most, and suggest those people for your Circles.
- Log in to your LinkedIn account, go to your Connections page, and Export your connections.
- Choose any format you’d like, but the .csv (comma separated value) is your best bet. Save this file to your desktop.
- Go to your Gmail Contacts window, and select Import from the More Actions menu. Locate your .csv file, and import it.
- Google will merge any contacts that already match, saving you some duplicated matches. However, Google isn’t perfect, so you will need to go through and find/merge a lot of your contacts by hand. It may be tedious, but it will be worth it in the end.
- As an added bonus, export your Gmail contacts and reimport them into your LinkedIn account. This will then sync up your two networks. And since Gmail is the one email program that most social networks use to “find your friends who are on this network,” having your professional LinkedIn contacts can help you build any new networks you join quickly and without all the fluff and unnecessary crap that Facebook brings with it, like your Farmville and Pirate Clan friends.
- Jump back over to Google+ and start adding people to your circles. Start with the ones that Google+ recommends, and then begin searching for the people you want to add to your Circles.